Beneath the Floorboards is a documentary about weight stigma.
Produced by BEDA, The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD) and Normal, the documentary tracks the true story of BEDA founder and CEO, Chevese Turner, and her mother, Donna Underhill, as they struggle with binge eating disorder (BED) and weight bias, and share the shame and isolation they experience. Treatment professionals across many disciplines share their findings and shed light on the gravity of this complex predicament.
The film presents an intense look at:
- Bullying due to weight stigma
- The insidious bias that assaults those who live in larger bodies daily
- The feelings of shame, disordered eating, and other adverse effects that plague individuals with binge eating disorder as a result
Beneath the Floorboards exposes:
- How pervasive and damaging weight stigma is in our society
- The mental health side of obesity—up to 50% of those living in larger bodies may be struggling with BED
- A core myth about size and weight: contrary to popular belief, people who are larger can be fit, healthy and happy
Help stop weight stigma
To help advance this mission, please contact filmmaker Robyn Hussa.